Black History

Black History
I had no idea history was being made. I was just tired of giving up. -Rosa Parks

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Micah Reflects on Calvin Peete



Calvin Peete was born on July 18, 1943 in Detroit Michigan. He was in a family of nine brothers and sisters. He is one of the most successful African-American golfers on the PGA tour before Tiger Woods. Calvin played on the 1983 and 1985 US Ryder cup teams. He won the Vardon Trophy for lowest scoring average in 1984. He was in the top 10 of the Official World Golf Rankings for several weeks when they debuted in 1986. Calvin didn’t start playing golf until he was into his 20’s, but he learned very fast.

I believe the contribution he made to the game of golf opened the door for other African Americans to want to play golf. He also showed others that they weren’t the only ones that were capable of playing golf. Most people believe that black people are to play sports such as Football, Basketball, and Track and Field. Having more African American golfers on the course will make it seem more “normal”.

Calvin Peete means a lot to me because I also happen to be an African American who enjoys the game of golf. The only difference is that I’m a female which is also something major. A lot of people believe females don’t play golf. But I proved those people wrong just as Calvin Peete proved all those other people wrong. I am THE first African American to join my school golf team at Simmons Middle School. I also helped form Simmons first girls’ golf team.

Without trend setters, trail blazers, and people who think outside of the box like me and Calvin Peete, the would continue to see us as different, treat us as outsiders, and continue to think we are not capable of things.

Check out the Glogster I made about Calvin Peete…ENJOY!
http://mab90.glogster.com/calvin-peete/

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy and honored that I can see a generation of 1st's and greats. Our heritage is awesome!! OK. I've been meaning to post on this blog. But when I saw that Ms. Micah blogged. I couldn't resist! Well spoken and written! Continue to think and live as you do!! Mr. Peete is honored to have so special honor him....love you all..janel

    ReplyDelete